Ogle’s company purchased the City Federal Building in 1993 from the Resolution Trust Corporation during the aftermath of the savings and loan crisis of the late 1980s. This historic 28th story high rise bank headquarters building was a buy hold resale investment.
Ogle sold the property to a developer based in Atlanta, Georgia. It was later sold at a profit in 1999 to an urban developer who successfully converted the office space to luxury condos.
The City Federal Building, constructed as the Jefferson County Savings Bank Building, later called the Comer Building, is a 27-story, 325-foot-tall neo-classical styled skyscraper located on the northwest corner of 2nd Avenue North and 21st Street North.
The building was designed by William Weston for Eugene Enslen’s Jefferson County Savings Bank and opened in 1913. Partly due to the spectacular cost of the new building, the bank suffered a run in January 1915 and failed. The building was soon renamed in honor of former Governor B. B. Comer. The penthouse terrace was used as the home of the Birmingham Press Club. The 11th floor became the national offices of the Women’s Missionary Union, which moved to Birmingham from Baltimore, Maryland in 1921.
It was the tallest skyscraper in the Southeast when it was constructed, and remained the tallest in Alabama until Mobile’s AmSouth Bank Building was completed in 1969. It was surpassed as the tallest building in Birmingham when the AmSouth-Sonat Tower was completed in 1972. It remains the tallest neo-classical skyscraper in the South.
The Comer Building was renamed in December 1962 as part of a $250,000 renovation for the City Federal Savings & Loan, which purchased the skyscraper and prepared to move into its new offices in April 1963. With the help of Cobb, Adams and Benton architects and Thomas Brasfield & Company contractors the interior was remodeled and the exterior cleaned and waterproofed. New landmark neon signs were installed on the roof and down the southeast corner of the structure. In 1964, WSGN-AM constructed a penthouse studio on the top floor of the tower.
Atlanta-based developer Synergy Realty Services purchased the building in March 2005 and began a $20 million renovation to convert the office space into 84 condominiums, ranging in price from $250,000 to $925,000, and a penthouse residence priced at $1.85 million.